TU MERI ZINDGI HAI.........JANAB MEHANDI HASSAN
Just before some days I read in newspaper that ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is gone under medical supervision in Karachi .We all know that Mehdi Hassan Saheb is such a brilliant singer, no any singer can take his place in this continent. We wish GOD to grant him good health . Let me tell you which I know about this superb ghzal singer. All of his fans know a severe illness in the late 80s, Mehdi Hassan stepped down from playback singing. Later due to severity of his illness he completely departed from music. He came in India last time in 2005 and in middle of this tour but due to illness this tour was not completed.
Mehdi Hassan was born in 1927 in Luna (Rajsthan) into a family of rich traditional musicians. He claims to be the 16th generation of hereditary musicians hailing from the Kalawant (means "artist"). Ustad
Azeem Khan was his father who groomed him in music and his uncle Ustad Ismail Khan who was classical musicians, well-versed in dhrupad singing. They instructed him in classical music and voice production within the framework of classical forms of Thumari Khayal dadra from the young age of eight. After the partition 20 year-old Mehdi Hassan and his family migrated to Pakistan and suffered severe financial hardships. To make ends meet, Mehdi Hassan began working in a bicycle shop and later became a car and diesel tractor mechanic. Despite the hardships, his passion for music didn't wither and he kept up the routine of practice on a daily basis.
The struggle ended when Mehdi Hassan was given the opportunity to sing on radio in1952, primarily as a thumri singer, which earned him recognition within the musical fraternity. At the time, Ustad Barkat Ali Khan Begum Akhtar were considered the stalwarts of ghazal gayaki. Mehdi Hassan also had a passion for Urdu poetry and began to experiment by singing ghazals on a part-time basis. He sang ghazals of all the renowned poets and his innovative style was soon appreciated by both masses and discerning audiences.
Mehdi Hassan’s voice and unique performance skills in ghazal singing were unmatched in the world of South Asian music. The 60s and 70s can be named Mehdi Hassan’s decades’, as there was hardly any hero in the Pakistani musical scene on whom Mehdi Hassan’s songs were not filmed
. He is universally acclaimed as the finest ghazal singer of his time. His unsurpassed vocal range and his mastery over even the most difficult of raagas makes him the undisputed emperor of ghazals. His popularity amongst the masses, appreciation by the masses, and continued success over five decades. The ultimate tribute to his greatness is from Lata ji who compared his songs to " voice of god " .
Talat Aziz (fir chidi baat raat phoolon si -fame) is one of his famous disciples.
In his ghazals I like some very much, like these.....
· Aaj Tak Yaad Hai Woh Piar Ka Manzar
· Aaye Kuchh Abr Kuchh Sharaab Aaye
· Ab Ke Hum Bichde To Shaayad Kabhi Khwaabon Mein Mile
· Bhuuli bisri chand umeedein
· Dil-E-Nadan Tujhe Hua Kya Hai ( Lyrics: Mirza Ghalib )
· Dil Ki Baat Labon Par Laakar
· Dil Men Toofan Chupae Betha Hon
· Duniya Kisi Ke Pyaar Mein Jaanat Se Kam Nahin
· Dayam Pada Hua Tere Dar Pe Nahi Hoon Main
· Ek Bar Chale Aao
· Gulo.N Me.N Rang Bhare, Baad-E-Naubahaar Chale
· Har Dard Ko
· Ik Husn Ki Dewi Se Mujhe Pyaar Hua Thaa
· Jab Bhi Aati Hei Teri Yaad Kabhi Shaam ke Baad
· Kahan Gai Woh Wafa
· Kiya Hei Pyaar Jisse Humne Zindagi ki Tarah
· Main Hosh Mein Tha
· Main khayal hoon
· Mohabat Karne Wale
· Mujhe Tum Nazar Se Gira To Rahe Ho
· Pyaar Bhare Do Sharmile Nain
· Rafta Rafta Wo Meri Hasti Ka Saamaan Ho Gaye
· Ranjish Hi Sahi Dil Hi Dukhaane Ke
· Shola tha jal bujha hoon
· Tu Meri Zindagi Hei (Copied by Nadeem Sharavan in "Ashiqi" Hindi Movie India)
· Usne Jab Meri Taraf
· Wo Dil Nawaaj Hei Lekin Nazar Shinaas Nahin
· Ye Dhooan Kahan Se Uthta Hei
· Ye Mojazaa Bhii Muhabbat Kabhii Dikhaaye Mujhe
· Ye Tera Naazuk Badan Hai Ya Koi Mehka Gulaab
· Zindagi Mein To Sabhi Pyaar Kiya Karte Hain
· Zulf Ko Teri Ghataon Ka Payam Aaya Hai
Khuda Mehadi sahib ko jaldi swasth kare aisi hamari iltiza hai………….